Creating a Ranch
Watch this video or read the text below to learn how to create a ranch.
Once Herdly is installed for the first time on a computer, you can create your ranch. A ranch has to be created before you can set it up, add user accounts, or use Herdly on other devices, including mobile devices.
Before creating a ranch, make sure the following is true:
- You must have installed Herdly on a computer.
- Your computer must be connected to the internet.
- You haven't already created a ranch. (If you have already created a ranch on another computer, you only need to log in on new devices. See Setting Up Another Device for more information.)
After launching Herdly, you will see the Welcome To Herdly window. Since you will be creating a brand new ranch, select the second option labeled I need to create a Herdly account for my ranch and then click Continue.
Now you will need to fill in some information about your ranch.
- Ranch Name. Enter the name of your ranch here. It will appear on reports as you enter it here.
- Your Name. Enter you own name here. It is used when setting up your user account.
- Address. Enter the mailing or physical address of your ranch here.
- City/Town. Enter the name of your town (or the one closest to where you live) here.
- Country. Choose your country from the pop up list. If your country isn't already listed you can enter it instead. Entering the correct country is important as it helps determine which server your ranch will be located on. The closer it is to you, the faster syncing will be in the future.
- Province/State. Choose your province or state here. If it isn't listed, you can type it in.
- Postal/Zip Code. Enter you mailing postal or zip code.
- Phone Number. Enter your phone number. See below to learn why this is important.
- Email Address. Enter your email address. See below to learn why this is important.
- Admin Username. Besides creating a ranch, you will also be creating the first user account for the ranch which will automatically be an administrator account. Enter the username for that account here.
- Admin Password. Enter a password for your user account here. When choosing a password, remember that the longer it is the more secure it is. Also, it is important that you don't forget what it is. You will need to know it to log into Herdly in the future.
- Referral Code. If someone has given you a referral code, enter it here to give them and yourself 30 days of free service. (This can also be entered later on in the Ranch Settings window as long as you do it before you make your first payment.)
It is important to enter the correct phone number and email address. Besides communicating important information about Herdly to you via email, these will be used to validate your account should you ever lose access to Herdly. We can give you a temporary code to log back in, but we will only do so if we can verify that the person asking for this code is really you. We do this by using both your email and phone number. If they are not correct we will not be able to help you get back into your account. If you change your email address or phone number in the future, you can update the information in Herdly using the Ranch Settings window.
When all the information is entered, click the Create Herdly Account button. Your ranch will be created and you can go on to setting up your ranch and adding user accounts so you can install and start using Herdly on other devices.
If you have been asked to create your ranch under the beta testing program, you will have been given a special code. In that case, click the Beta Testing... button and enter your code before clicking the Create Herdly Account button.