New Animal Action
Watch this video to get a brief overview of the New Animal action. The text below goes into more detail.
There are two ways to get animals into Herdly—the New Calf action, which is used to enter calves as they are born on your ranch, and the New Animal action which is used to record purchased animals. The New Animal action can also be used to enter your existing herd when you first start using Herdly. This topic explains how to use the New Animal action.
Starting the Action
This action can be used on both computers and mobile devices. To learn how to start an action, please see Actions.
It doesn't matter if you have any animals selected when you start this action since you will be creating a brand new animal that isn't linked to any existing animal.
On mobile devices, the New Animal action is found under the Animal tool bar item.
All of this action's fields are listed below. If any are required to have a value, that is noted. If there is any special information about the field that you need to know for this action, it is also noted. More general information about all of the fields can be found in the Field Descriptions topic.
- Tag. Required.
- This section may have other identification fields, depending on what optional fields you've set up in the Ranch Settings window. If there are additional fields, they can be used or left blank.
- Main Photo.
- Status. Required. When entering purchased animals, this will normally be set to Current. If you are trying to get an animal, like an AI bull, that you don't own but need to refer to in Herdly, set the status to Source. If you are entering historical animals in Herdly that are no longer on your ranch, leave this as Current and then use the Edit Animal action after saving this action to set the real status and other pertinent information.
- Breeding Stage. If the animal will be in the breeding pool, enter its current stage. The possible options are determined by the gender.
- Birth Date. If you don't know the exact birthdate, but do know the year, enter an estimated date. This will allow Herdly to make some calculations like adjusted birth weight for calves more accurately.
- Date Type.
- Location. Enter the location the animal is currently in or will be moving into.
- Arrival. Use this section if the animal was purchased.
- Arrival Date.
- Arrival Weight.
- Arrival Type. Required. This field is used to determine whether an animal was raised on your ranch or not when Herdly is calculating certain information for dashboards and other reports.
- Raised At.
- Purchased From.
- Purchase Price (per Head).
- Arrival Note.
- CCIA Information. Use this section if the animal was purchased. If these fields are used, the CCIA move in event that is created will include this information.
- Source Premise ID. The premise ID from where the animals came.
- Vehicle ID. The vehicle ID (license plate) that transported the animals.
- Breeding Pool. Use this section if the animal is entering your breeding pool.
- Entry Date.
- Entry Weight.
- Weight Type.
When you have finished filling in the fields in this action, use the Save button to save your information. The new animal will be created. You can then select it and use other actions to add more information about the new animal, if you want.
If you are set up (in the Ranch Settings window) so that Herdly automatically creates CCIA events, Herdly will attempt to create a move in event for the animal. It will only be successful if you have entered your CCIA account information in the Ranch Settings window, you gave the animal a location, the location has a premise ID associated with it, and the animal has an RFID tag.
If you made a mistake when using this action, you can correct it with the Edit Animal action.
The following actions may be useful in conjunction with this action:
- Edit Animal. Useful if you want to add more information about the animal, especially if you are entering historical animals into Herdly.
- New Attributes. Useful if you want to record height, disposition scores, and other attributes.